20.1.13

Working at home: "Skip Studios"


The state of the table in the living room of my flat in Whalley Range, Manchester since I don't have a studio. I've called it Skip Studios. I've recently got back into recording and making things and finding things after a difficult couple of years. This current set up is a 10 channel mixer with digital loops and delays recording the usual mix of mini keyboards -which despite being a regular fixture in my live performances are yet to feature on a 'studio' recording- tapes, objects, home made electronics, amplified cymbals, Buddha Machines etc onto 4-track tape recorder allowing for a kind of half composed, half improvised approach which can be mixed in real time while transferring from 4-track to MP3. So it's still pretty much all improv but I can kind a kind of live edit. As well as the sound art stuff that I will be doing forever I'm working on a more self-contained project with the provisional name "Eardrums" involving electronic beats from an app on my mobile phone, percussion and guitars with lots of noise but more conventional structure (well, as much as I can manage). Would be great to get people to collaborate on that.
Sounds coming soon.